Slickypot

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thanks, Mr. McCullough

Several years ago, David McCullough was the guest speaker at the Ogden School Foundation's fall author event.  The next day he spoke to the students at Ogden High School.  He gave two remarkable addresses so well articulated, steeped in interesting stories and fascinating information.  As a side note, he, like most everyone, was awed and overwhelmed at the beauty of the OHS auditorium and the historical significance of its construction during the Great Depression.  He even purchased a chair plaque for one of the seats!

He gave the following advice which I like.  He said, "Make it your practice to ask people about themselves and what they've learned from experience.  Don't ever forget that there isn't a man or woman, no matter their appearance or station in life, who doesn't know something, or how to do something that you don't."  . . . "Try not to make the mistake of equating ease or possessions with happiness.  Find that in your work if possible.  Bear in mind that hard work and joy are not mutually exclusive." (David McCullough, two time winner of the Pulitzer Prize, author of "1776", Brooklyn Bridge, John Adams, etc.).

Add to that a great quote of Charles Dickens who said, "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of it for anyone else," and one more, "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God." (D&C 18:10).

There is a cute line from the play, The Curious Savage that addresses worth and value.  Just for a little background,  Mrs. Ethel P. Savage has inherited ten million dollars from her late husband but is put in a sanitarium by her three step children.  They think she is crazy because she spent some of the money doing kind things for others in making their frivolous dreams come true.  One day Mrs. Savage is talking to Hannibal who is one of the residents of the sanitarium.  Mrs. Savage asks him:

MRS. SAVAGE. Hannibal - would you guess to look at me that I'm worth ten million dollars on the hoof?
HANNIBAL.  Never.  The human body has only twenty cents' worth of calcium in it - five cents' worth of iodine, twenty cents' worth of phosphorus, and - well - even at present high prices - nobody is worth over a dollar and a half.
MRS. SAVAGE.  So you only value me at a dollar and a half?
HANNIBAL.  Never.  You said "worth."  Your value is inestimable.
MRS. SAVAGE.  Hannibal - I like you.  I like you very much.  You make me feel important.  You make me feel like dancing.  The Curious Savage by John Patrick

I guess my point with all of this is that I value people.  I am amused, entertained, amazed,  inspired, fulfilled, educated, angered, and yes, sometimes disgusted with people, but I am constantly learning from these interactions and associations.  Yes, people enhance my life and for that I am grateful.

My great grandfather used to always end his journal entries by writing, "And I came home rejoicing."   I end with that thought in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment