Slickypot

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Beginning

Today marks the beginning of my blogspot, Slickypot.  To those wondering where the word slickypot originated, I'll tell you.  My grandmother, Elaine Christensen Southwick, was of Danish descent.  She played a five finger game with our hands when we were little similar to, "This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home," etc. She began with the thumb saying, 

     "Tommeltott,
      Slikkepott (the pointer finger that licks the bowl),
      Langemann (the longest finger),
      Gullebran( gull means gold referring to the ring finger), and
      Little bit of Spillemann or Slickypan to those of us who couldn't remember the          last word very well.  (Spillemann refers to a nursery rhyme of Peter Fiddleman).

I have always loved cookie dough, cake batter, bread dough, you get the picture. To me, unbaked dough far exceeds the cooked product -- (I know, someday the raw eggs will give me salmonella or some bad ailment) and so the Slickypot finger is big in my world. The pointer finger can also direct, indicate, or point to various points of interest.  How poignant!  Yes, I suppose Slickypot is symbolic, useful and trigger-filled (pun intended), triggering many memories of my kind, sweet Grandma, who incidentally was a fabulous poet, writer and English professor.

Thanks to some of the blog spots that I have really enjoyed.   Here's a shout out to juliegoddessoftheinternet.com, At a Turtle's Pace with tanyagarn.blogspot.com, ragnarannals.blogspot.com and willbetillidie.blogspot.com.  Each of these sights has brought fun, laughter, enjoyment and thought to my life.  Thanks, friends, for your insight and inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment