Slickypot

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I Love Ogden


I have spent the better part of my life in Ogden. I love Ogden. I love the diversity of Ogden. I love the people in Ogden. I love the beauty of Ogden. And today, especially today, I love the kindness and love shown when one of our own OPD officers was senselessly snuffed out.

I didn't know Officer Francom. I never met him, never saw him and never talked with him. But I went to his funeral. And I cried. In fact, I cried at 8 a.m. this morning as I drove home from my Crossfit class at the Ogden Athletic Club and saw just a portion of the 5000 flags that lined Harrison Boulevard. Yes, 5000 beautiful American flags gently swaying in the breeze. 5000 flags put up by people who care, symbolizing love and solidarity for a fallen officer.

At 10:00 a.m., I had a meeting in the Weber County Commission chambers. I altered my normal driving pattern on the back roads just to follow the flags along Harrison Blvd., down 30th St. and then north on Washington Blvd. What a beautiful sight. Big blue ribbons were tied around the pillars of the Market Star building, around doors, on lampposts, and what not. After my meeting, I walked by the County Attorney's office and observed a green sign stating, "Office closed till 3:00 p.m." It was such an appropriate thing to allow them the opportunity to attend the funeral. And such was the case with Ogden City and its employees.

Being so overwhelmed with gratitude and sorrow, I decided to attend the funeral. These situations are rare and special and I was glad to have some free time. I drove to the Dee Events center and parked next to a Logan police car. My parking spot wasn't unique. I could have parked by any number of police cars for the whole parking lot was filled with police motorcycles and cars from jurisdictions far and wide. Upon entering the building, it was overwhelming to see hundreds and hundreds of uniformed officers filling seats in every section. I have never seen a sight quite like that.

The funeral was lovely. The speakers and beautiful music did Officer Francom justice. We all enjoyed an inside view about Jared, his passions, his family, and his desires. He was a very caring person who wanted to help. That love and desire spilled on to so many people who surrounded him.

Following the funeral, police officers lined the hallways paying their respects to the family and for one of their own. Their cars and motorcycles filled the streets all the way to the Ogden City Cemetery as did the flags and bystanders waving flags in their hands. It made my heart proud to see so much love, care and concern expressed by a community trying to ease the pain for a little family now fatherless and for those officers who put their life on the lines to protect our freedoms.

All I can say is I love you, Ogden. I am so sorry for what happened, but I am proud to be an Ogdenite. I send my love to the Francom family and the other officers involved. Thank you for your service.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute, Meg. Ogden really showed its concern for a slain police officer. I saw it on TV and it was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fitting tribute. You have expressed in words what everyone else is feeling for this heroic policeman.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, children and other family members.
    It's wonderful that Ogden showed their love and concern for this man. A tribute to all the brave policeforce who go out everyday and deffend our safety and freedom.

    ReplyDelete